Tool/Implement

Tool/Implement

Saddler's bench

Saddler's bench with clamp to hold harness while making or repairing. The foot pedal freed the saddler's hands to work on the harness. Found by Charles Brown in his barn (no longer extant, but located in the triangle of land behind the Warwick General Store). Given by him to Fred Lincoln who refurbished it. Fred's daughter gave it to the Society in 2012.

Year (or year range)
1890-1910
Approximate era
1851-1900
Donated by
Patricia Lincoln Johnson
Donation date
2012-08-20

Pierced/punched Tin Lantern

Pierced (or punched) tin lantern (also called a "Paul Revere" lantern).
According to Lois Macy this lantern belonged to John Goldsbury, Esq. (1728 - 1802) who was a trustee and founder of the New Salem Academy. The school was established in 1795. For more information about such lanterns click here.
Lantern located on top of glass display case, south wall, room 1a

Year (or year range)
1795-1820
Approximate era
before 1800
Donated by
Lois Goldsbury Macy
Donation date
8/12/2012

Boot and shoe molds (lasts)

Found in attic of Clara Shepardson. Her great grandfather, David Martin Shepardson (1832-1907) and possibly her grandfather, George Shepardson (1871-1960) made boots/shoes along with market gardening. These were most likely sold to boot factory/shop in downtown Warwick. At one time 40 men were making 20,000 pair of shoes a year (many sold to slave plantations of the south).

Year (or year range)
1851-1930
Approximate era
1851-1900
Donated by
Clara Shepardson
Donation date
2012-05-22

log pipe or tube

A sign on this log reads: "While digging a drainage ditch, John Goldsbury unearthed some of the log piping which his grandfather, Barnard Fisher, had made to carry water from a spring across the street from the upper part of the cemetery, down the hill and across [what is now] Rt 78 to the Fay Tavern or "Beehive" which Barnard owned. One of these logs is in the basement of the Historical Society building."

Approximate era
1801-1850
Subscribe to Tool/Implement